Friday

Further Research

[Ok, I'm really annoyed as I just wrote about 400 words just now and then blogspot decided to crash when I tried to publish the post!!! I'll try and remember what I ws saying...]

I have found yet another gem of a website where they put up professional idents, mainly from television channels. Its a great resource and a way to see what idents are in the professional world. Looking at text animation is one thing, but I feel I need to explore what the nature and purpose of an ident really is.

http://www.theidentgallery.com/

Although I do not yet have the skills to make them as good as this on my own, these idents, once studied, show that various things such as pace, sound and structure are essential in their success.

I have realised that idents nearly always have the same pre-defined structure; there is an initial eye grabbing shot, then through the middle some sort of tension is created and when the release comes, thats when the logo appears. In a sense idents are just short adverts that reinforce the identity of what theyre advertising, but they cannot allow any room for dilution, they have to be pure and wholly representative...

No comments: